I’ve started tiling the roof. First of all I painted the roof black to disguise any gaps left between the tiles. Then I drew white lines 2cm apart, starting from the bottom up. If I was going to do it again I’d probably draw the lines 1cm apart as this is the actual spacing for the tiles. Then I cut to size, painted black and glued in place 2mm diameter bamboo knitting needles! I needed something 2mm thick and relatively thin to put under the first row of tiles to get the angle correct and this was the easiest method I came up with (bought on Ebay). For the bedroom roof I placed the knitting needles near the edge of the roof, but as you can see the resulting tile angle wasn’t quite right. For the main roof I placed the knitting needles about 8-9 mm in from the roof edge, and this was perfect. The later method leaves a gap under the first row where the tiles aren’t supported, I plan to fill this using an air drying clay and some glue.
The tiles (Richard Stacey – weathered roof tiles) vary slightly in thickness and length, so there is a lovely natural variation which works well with the Tudor style. I’m including some chipped tiles to give an aged look. The tiles are rather fiddly to cut in half/to fit the apex and I have wasted quite a few and spent a number of hours on it, but the finished result is so effective I can’t imagine using anything else. I’m using an extra tacky pva glue to position the tiles so they don’t slide everywhere, but even so I tend just to do two rows in one sitting.
I’ve currently paused tiling the roof to source, ‘age’, and screw in place some internal cross beams. I worry about the weight of the roof tiles when the roof is left open, and as such I think some cross beams screwed in will give me that extra peace of mind.
The colour works well with the bricks, and the weathered effect of the tiles and the variation in colour combined with the close overlap gives a really pretty result.